As many of you already know the Jezebel spirit is on the prowl right now. Glynda Lomax has recently done a few podcasts on this subject recently and I believe is in the process of releasing another one. I came across this checklist which you also may find useful. The original site is hyperlinked just below.
Jezebel is a spirit, but it finds access through uncrucified flesh. Although the Jezebel spirit is described in the Bible as being a woman, it does not actually have a gender. There is no doubt that it functions just as proficiently through men.
1. Refuses to Admit Guilt or Wrongdoing
A Jezebel spirit is never wrong, unless it is a temporary admittance of guilt to gain “favor” with someone. To accept responsibility would violate the core of insecurity and pride from which it operates. When a Jezebel apologizes it is never in true repentance or acknowledgment of wrongdoing but rather “I’m sorry your feelings were hurt.”
2. Takes Credit for Everything
While a strong trait of Jezebel is to never take responsibility for his wrong actions or behavior, he also is quick to take credit for benefits for which he contributed no effort.
3. Uses People To Accomplish It’s Agenda
The Jezebel spirit lets others do its dirty work. The Jezebel gets another person’s emotions stirred up, then lets that person go into a rage. The Jezebel sits back looking innocent, saying “Who me? What did I do?” This behavior makes it difficult for even the most ardent truth seekers to pin one down. The Jezebel spirit is clever in its agenda.
4. Withholds Information
This is a form of control. A Jezebel wields power over you by knowing something you don’t know in a situation. In the eyes of a Jezebel, having information you don’t have is a powerful weapon of control.
5. Talks In Confusion (or is confused when they present themselves)
It is impossible to converse with a Jezebel in logic. One pastor wrote a six-page letter to his elders about a situation in the church. The context was so vague that no one was without confusion. This is a way to maintain control and domination. When confronting a Jezebel, the subject may be changed five times in one minute. Confusion keeps them “undiscovered” and unexposed.
6. Volunteers for Anything
A Jezebel volunteers in order to establish control. He seemingly has endless (nervous) energy and eagerly looks for opportunities to be in charge of projects. Although it will work hard, his motive is never pure, and eventually his secret agenda cannot be hidden.
A Jezebel lies convincingly. No one can lie better than he can. He can turn on the charm and make you believe blue is red. He always fools those whom he’s just met while those who have been victimized by his tactics stand by helplessly. The fact that Jezebel can look you in the eye and lie just shows how strong and adamant this rebellious and recalcitrant spirit is.
8. Ignores People
A classic ploy of a controller is to ignore you when you disagree with him. This tactic is frequently used by leaders when someone doesn’t agree with their plans, and they isolate the person by ignoring him. Some in these situations have been ignored for months, just because they chose not to be a puppet and say to every idea or whim. This puts the person out of the leader’s grace and forces him to either “come around” to the leader’s way of thinking or be indefinitely ignored. One is not free to disagree with a controller.
9. Never Gives Credit Nor Gratitude
A Jezebel will rarely acknowledge another person’s actions, not even for something that turned out to greatly benefit the Jezebel. He just cannot bring himself to say thank you or to acknowledge that someone else did something right. There are those who have gone out of their way to bless a Jezebel by being the catalyst of sending him on a trip or giving a gift. Yet never will there be a thank you. This again puts the controller in a position of power.
10. Criticizes (and Slanders) Everyone (will even go as far as criticizing the very person who does not submit to their lying/manipulation. Will then also go as far as accusing them of being a coward for avoiding them, accusing the person they are complaining about of being in sin against God, even though the other person is avoiding the spirit of strife and recognizes their manipulative behavior. The Jezebel will flail and waiver in what they say (confusion) like the leviathan it is as if it’s limb were cut off and go on the attack to make it look like they are the victim when in reality they were cut off due to their domineering behavior. This further demonstrates how mislead they really are and they will often twist the Word and engage in lies to suit themselves. This is common in not only the church, but social media, YouTube, etc. because they seek to have the greatest reach as they demand the upper-hand even though they are flawed.)
This is a characteristic of a controller. He/She has to be the one who looks good, so he will quickly sharply criticize anyone who makes a suggestion or plan. Even though he likes the plan, he can only criticize it because the idea did not originate from him. Criticizing others elevates the controller in his own mind.
A person with a Jezebel spirit will always upstage another person. He feels threatened by anyone who dares to steal the limelight or anyone who is a threat to his power and control. If you are with such a person and tell of your accomplishment or victory, you can be assured he will quickly tell of something he has accomplished.
12. Sequesters Information (can go hand-in-hand with slander)
A Jezebel loves to be in control of information. If there is ever a situation where information is important, he will push to be the “first” to know it. He seems to know everything about everyone. Where he gets all his information is beyond comprehension, but he can dictate to you data and details about people’s lives and actions in mass quantities.
13. Uses Information (generally against or to take advantage of someone or a situation)
A Jezebel uses information as a leverage for power and then shares tidbits with you, often things told him in confidence. This gives him a sense of power, even to the point of trying to impress people by “knowing things” that others do not.
14. Talks Incessantly
Many people talk habitually, but a Jezebel uses talking as a form of control. In a typical conversation, he does all the talking, whether it is about sports, the weather or the Kingdom of God. Because of this form of control, he is unable to receive input from anyone in his life. All conversation with him is one-sided. You are doing the listening.
15. Spiritualizes Everything
When a controller is confronted, he commonly spiritualizes the situation, explaining it off on God. This prevents him from owning up to responsibility required of him. The implication is always, “You’ve got a problem; I don’t.”
16. Is Insubordinate
A Jezebel never takes the side of the employer or a person in authority, unless it is a temporary action to make himself look good. He often will take credit for someone else’s idea. His main desire is for power and control. There is no conscience when an opportunity for recognition presents itself.
17. Is Pushy & Domineering (will often times even go as far as saying God gave them instructions as to what you need to do (i.e. ‘God told me you are to move where I am and be my husband’ when God did not command any such thing at all). This is delusional. Will get very frustrated if you tell them you need to wait on the Lord for a confirmation and then try to accuse you or guilt-trip you of being disobedient to God if you do not submit to their supposed instructions -this is a form of manipulation and should be noted it is NOT of God. They think they can do this but remember brothers and sisters, 2 Timothy 3:2-9 warns of these traits in the last days. Jesus even warned us about this in Matthew 24:11 to see to it nobody misleads you as many false prophets will arise. God does not send a spirit of confusion and manipulation; Jezebel however does as they seek to control. Also remember, to let the truth be established in the mouths of two or three witnesses -2 Corinthians 13:1. Also as stated in scripture, remember love does not demand it’s own way, it is patient and kind and endures through every circumstance, favorable or not. Anyone telling you otherwise is preaching a doctrine other than what you have heard to be the truth and should be eyed greatly with caution -reference 1 Timothy 6:3-5 )
A person with a Jezebel spirit pressures you to do things, seemingly ripping from you your right to choose or make a decision for yourself. He makes others feel as though they don’t have enough sense to think for themselves.
18. Is Clairvoyant
Many who operate with a spirit of control also have a clairvoyant spirit. A Jezebel has supernatural help in knowing and sensing information. If he uses this against you, he may say “I can’t tell you how I know this. I just know it.” This is not the Holy Spirit, but the help of a clairvoyant or familiar spirit. Clairvoyance may be defined as the power to perceive things that are out of the range of human senses.
19. Uses The Element of Surprise
A Jezebel’s main thrust is to be in control, and a large part of control is catching you off guard. Therefore, the element of surprise works well when he shows up a day early for a meeting, etc.
20. Sows Seeds of Discord
A Jezebel will continually belittle another person in the most subtle way. The strategy is to “gain” control by minimizing the value of another person. It is common for him to tell half-truths to implicate another person in your eyes. By sowing these seeds, he hopes to eventually reap a harvest of destruction, improving his position of power. (this is especially true when it comes to those in ministry, i.e. an attack on the ministry)
21. Commands Attention (to do this they will also use fake aliases, different names, multiple email addresses and phone numbers if they can’t reach you in person)
A Jezebel likes to be the center of attention and doesn’t like to see others recognized and lauded. When someone else is recognized, he will quickly undermine the person’s accomplishments verbally.
22. Is Vengeful
Since a Jezebel is never wrong, if you contradict or confront one, get ready to become his worst enemy. As long as you are in agreement with him, all is fine. But if you confront or challenge him, then look out. You are the target of his fiercest venom. A Jezebel will stop at nothing to destroy your reputation
23. Attempts to Make You Look Like the Jezebel
A Jezebel spirit is difficult to pin down. If the person is near to being confronted, he or she will skillfully twist the entire situation, trying to make the innocent person look like the one who is attempting to control. As always, the Jezebel will do anything to look like the one who is right.
24. Insinuates Disapproval
A Jezebel will often imply disapproval to those under his or her control. The controlled person feels no freedom to express an opinion, for fear of disapproval. This often manifests in a marriage or in a working environment.
25. Knows It All
A Jezebel is usually blatant regarding his knowledge of everything. Quick to express his opinion in any area, he leaves little room for anyone to point out the other side of an issue. He has made idols of his opinions.
26. Is Ambitious
The Jezebel has strong desire, but all for self. “I want what I want when I want it,” describes his worship of self-will. A Jezebel leader will never use the words, “We have a vision,” but rather, “My vision is thus and so.”
27. Gift-Giving (also excessive flattery in some cases to win you over)
Gift giving is a form of manipulation a Jezebel uses that always makes you feel obligated to him. It also compromises the victim in speaking direct and confrontive truth. Naturally, not everyone who gives gifts is guilty of control, but gift giving is a tactic used by those who have a need to control.
28. Is Independent
No one has input in a Jezebel’s life. He fraternizes with no one unless it is to get you to “cooperate” with his agenda.
29. Is Religious (also will appear to have the answers to everything)
A Jezebel dwells in the local church but doesn’t like authority unless he is in the position of authority.
We all want to believe that the person with a Jezebel spirit is delivered. The person may seem “normal” for a period, exhibiting none of the classic traits. Then suddenly without warning a situation will arise, once again with the spirit taking control and wreaking havoc over lives. Hopefully, true repentance will come. Only then will the person be delivered.